Initial Portrait Study

Its been a little while since I did a digital portrait, and with portraiture in mind for the next project, I wanted to refresh myself with with a quick study.

I made this self portrait using Adobe Photoshop with a tablet, as a direct study using a mirror roughly taking 2-3 hours for me to complete. As a warm-up study for things to come, my intention was not to spend too long or get bogged down with this piece.



Its a good idea to save steps as you work through a piece for backup and reviewing purposes.



I feel satisfied with the piece, feeling it served its purpose in getting back into the swing of things. I think I messed up the colours a little along the way (with probably just about everything else) - skin in particular can be troublesome business!

Notice how my glasses distort the form on my left side? Yeah it happens in almost every angle... it just makes life difficult.

Hopefully in time to come, I will be able to produce a self-portrait that far excels this current piece, with additionally depth and meaning toward the nature of one's identity.

Once again, feel free to leave comments or constructive criticism if you will :)

2 comments:

tutorphil said...

Hi Leo,

You look like your older self in this portrait; the first line drawing captures your youth, and then, as it progresses you seem to age... How about having a go at something more overtly expressionistic? Less studied, more expressed - try 10 minute likenesses for a real warm-up!

Leo Tsang said...

Ah thats interesting, guess its due to the messy lines in shading and stuff. That sounds like a good idea, will give it a try :)

Post a Comment