Tower Slide Model

Here I have managed to model the tower slide for my scene. It wasn't too tricky to create by simply adjusting basic geometry with a seris of extrudes and bevels, though I also tried to the lay the UVs out along the way.






The main problem to overcome in this model was in creating the spiral slide, as initial attempts with the CV Curve tool was just not smooth enough. Digging around on the net, I found a simple and effective script avaliable in the Maya system files known as 'spiral.mel', that creates a spirial CV curve once inputted in the script editor. Using a lattice deformer allowed me to scale the curve proportionally to the tower body, before modelling and extruding the faces of the slide along the curve to create a smooth spirial slide.



I'm pretty pleased with the way it has turned out so far. Though, in hindsight I may return to use ncloth dynamics on the flag to simulate the wind. If anyone has any pointers for this I would be grateful. From here, I will move on to the other objects to make.

Any thoughts/feedback is most welcome as usual.
Reference images used found in the previous post.

9 comments:

Richard V-C said...

Alright Leo, hope you had good holdiays, this model is looking sweet, i can already imagine the rest of the environment from just this piece.

Leo Tsang said...

Thanks Richard, yeah was good despite being ill for part of it. You?

Simon Holland 74 said...

Looking good Leo... What you should have said was massive blog dump coming.... actually no that sounds quite gross, hope you are feeling better. Loving your concepts.

Leo Tsang said...

Heh I guess you could call it that. Feeling much better thanks :)

tutorphil said...

Hey Leo - well, you seem to be very clear-eyed about what it is you want to accomplish with your image - good - and your independence re. seeking out that spiral tutorial is very satisfying - self-medication!

I'm pleased you're feeling better too.

Richard V-C said...

Yeah that sucks, im ill at this minute in time so i feel for yah lol. I had good holdidays too, masssssive distraction from work though, new games and gizmos etc.. getting back on track though :D

Leo Tsang said...

Thanks Phil, my previous attempts to get their spiral curve manually were futile, I just thought there had to be a better way!

Hope you get well soon Richard!

Baja said...

Hey Leo, I really like how much work you have done, I admire your passion and enthusiasm towards this course.

I'd like to add one tiny bit of advice for the Tower Slide model you have made. At the sliding part you have got a very little protection sides. I think you should increase by making a little taller and other than that you have got a really sweet work coming together into piece one-by-one. I think you have done more than anyone and still better than anyone ^^. Excellent Work ^^

Leo Tsang said...

Thanks Baja, your too kind :) I guess the slides could use a little more protection for safety. Though being positioned towards the back of the scene this may not be a problem as I feel it captures the silhouette of a tower slide well enough as it stands. Otherwise, I may come back to tweak it if I have time, I still got more to get on with!

Post a Comment