Forest Concept #3

Some more work into the forest concept, working to finalise the piece with details and colour.

Before


Refined composition with added finer details to foliage and allosaurus. Also adjusted the figure in a more dynamic pose with an addition of a second figure moreover in the distance; one approaching with rifle in hand to assist the other, who has fallen along with his hat in agape of the stalking dinosaur.

Begin blocking of colour

Lighting - with huge trees and a overhead canopy of branches, only finer rays of sunlight are able to penetrate and get through.

Final tweaks in colour and contrast


I'm really pleased with the way the piece has turned out, compositionally in portraying a sense of space and depth, as well as being theatrical with a huge dribbling dinosaur and sense of scale. I also feel the piece is balanced with three main focal points of the figures to dinosaurs head and foot. Overall, this may most likely be one of the three final pieces for submission.

Sample of source text I was working with, from the beginning stages in forming the concept of a forest piece. Faithful enough I hope, whilst still being original.

How shall I ever forget the solemn mystery of it? The height of the trees and the thickness of the boles exceeding anything which I in my town-bred life could have imagined, shooting upwards in magnificent columns until, at an enormous distance above our heads, we could dimly discern the spot where they threw out their side-branches into Gothic upward curves which coalesced to form one great matted roof of verdure, through which only an occasional golden ray of sunshine shot downwards to trace a thin dazzling line of light amidst the majestic obscurity. As we walked noiselessly amid the thick, soft carpet of decaying vegetation the hush fell upon our souls which comes upon us in the twilight of the Abbey, and even Professor Challenger's full-chested notes sank into a whisper.


Well, I'm keen to know what you guys think. Any thoughts and feedback is still welcome for anything that I may have missed.

3 comments:

Simon Holland 74 said...

Great work Leo,

one thing I would adjust is the hanging vines, at the moment they seem to uniform at the moment. And a bit more definition in the central trunk.

Then I should think that it is job done.

Leo Tsang said...

Thanks Simon, ah yes I can see what you mean about the vines and perhaps definition in the central trunk. I'll come back to it if I have time as I still have the other two concepts to finalise.

Baja said...

Hey Leo I really like this piece in fact kind of loving it however one thought I'd like to input. The T-Rex seems to be stuck in the midst of the trees rather than just passing by. If you could get the time and fix that little issue, your job is done just like Simon says.

^^

Post a Comment